Wednesday, June 30, 2010
Aqua in Abstract: Finished At Last!
The quilt I began at Quilting Adventures in March, 2009, is finally done! I picked it up from my wonderful machine quilter and friend, Judy Steward, yesterday. All it lacked was for the binding to be hand-sewn to the back, and this morning I have done that.
I've discussed this quilt before, but to review briefly: We began by doing "blind contour" drawings of a still life. My still life consisted of a slender vase containing a few branches with leaves, a more rounded vase beside the slender one, both of these backed by a plate standing on its rim. These items were arranged in front of some draped fabric. Finding anything recognizable in the abstract design that resulted is difficult, except for some leaf shapes, some rounded ones that must be the plate, and who knows where everything else is!
The resulting blind contour drawing, though, seemed an interesting design to me, and teacher Katie Pasquini-Masopust encouraged me to choose this to become an eventual quilt, over all the other drawings, water colors, and designs we had done in class. I had brought a collection of batiks in my favorites shades of aqua, turquoise, teal, and dark blue to the workshop, so I cut the shapes from these. Teacher Katie suggested to me that I add some satin stitching, especially between some of the like-valued appliques, for added contrast.
After I had appliqued all of the shapes to a foundation, I did a bit the satin stitch embellishing, before handing the quilt over to Judy to be machine quilted. Here are some close-ups of her superb quilting: